Business, Advanced Certificates
Format: Online, On-site, Hybrid
Locations: Potsdam, Capital Region
Cost: per credit hour
Would you like to receive information about upcoming Open Houses?
Advanced certificate programs are available in the following topics:
Certificate in Global Supply Chain Management (Potsdam: On-site, On-line)
Success today depends on selling the right goods and services to customers all over the world — at the right time and the right price. This depends on managing global supply chains, the complex networks linking raw materials, processing, production, assembly and distribution. Our program will teach you how to make your networks responsive and secure enough to coordinate the movement of goods, services, information and money. This certificate is the result of industry input and a comprehensive integration of best business practices. To earn it, you’ll study with faculty across a multitude of disciplines, including Operations Management, Marketing, Information Systems, Human Resources and Finance.
Certificate in Human Resource Management (Hybrid, Capital Region: On-site)
The Certificate Program in Human Resource Management provides the educational background necessary to make informed decisions in human resource management. The Certificate Program is designed for private and public-sector managers, industrial relations specialists, union representatives, human resource/personnel managers, and employee training professionals who already have an undergraduate degree and want to expand their expertise in human resource management.
Business Fundamentals Certificate (Online, Hybrid, Capital Region: On-site)
The Business Fundamentals Certificate is designed for working professionals who do not have an undergraduate business degree but could benefit from focused knowledge and skills in the areas of: accounting, finance, operations, marketing, management and IT. Successful professionals are expected to be conversant in these areas and may be limited in their career growth without this fundamental business knowledge. The Business Fundamentals Certificate courses are part of the core MBA curriculum therefore all courses can be applied to an MBA should the student wish to continue with the MBA degree program.
Certificate in Healthcare Management (Hybrid, Capital Region: On-site)
Healthcare has quickly become one of the largest industries in the US economy, characterized by rapid change and a need for management talent that will extend into the foreseeable future. The certificate in Healthcare Management educates students in essential business concepts in healthcare, preparing them for opportunities in this fast growing field. This certificate program is designed for individuals currently working in healthcare (physicians, managers, nurses, pharmacists, healthcare providers, and health plan staff) and for others interested in applying the latest business and management concepts to the ever-changing world of healthcare.
Certificate in Management and Leadership (Hybrid, Capital Region: On-site)
The Certificate in Management and Leadership provides entry and mid-level executives with core business skills in organizational processes, change management, human resources, and leadership. The program enhances their management and leadership skills to advance their careers within their organizations.
Certificate in Innovation and New Venture Management (Potsdam: On-site)
Get the skills to anticipate, develop and implement successful new products and business models. Understand how market- and technology-driven innovations happen — and how to manage both. You already know what venture capital is. Here, you’ll learn how to manage it by examining the intricacies of complex financial tools that successfully commercialize new ideas.
Certificate in Environmental Management (Potsdam: On-site)
The demands of our growing population are straining our environment. Organizations need professionals who can effectively and efficiently integrate sustainability and business. Develop proficiency in drafting and assessing strategies that benefit both the ecology and economy, including green marketing, risk management and supply chain practices.
Certificate in Accounting (Potsdam: On-site)
Fiscal management, reporting, auditing and taxation issues affect every business, regardless of its size, industry or locale. Having skilled and quick-thinking accounting staff is an essential ingredient for success in a business world where laws and requirements change every day. Are you up to that challenge? Enhance your Clarkson MBA coursework with electives in topics like financial accounting theory, managerial accounting, tax law, auditing and ethics/professional responsibility.
Certificate Pathway to the MBA or Healthcare MBA
The Business Fundamentals Certificate and the Healthcare Management Certificate also provide students an alternative pathway to admission into the MBA (Business Fundamentals Certificate) or Healthcare MBA (Healthcare Certificate). Students may choose this pathway for any number of reasons, including:
• I want to get started right away without taking an admissions test.
• I want to be considered for admission into the MBA program based on my performance in core MBA courses.
• I’m not sure if I want to complete an entire MBA but I would like to learn core business principles in a short amount of time and still be able to apply all my course work should I choose to go on for the MBA.
• I want to try out the MBA program by taking courses that I can use for a valuable and recognized credential even if I decide not to complete the entire MBA.
- Applicants will be assigned an advisor as soon as the application is received. The application will not go to the Admissions Committee for an admissions decision but applicants will be screened by the advisor.
- The advisor will meet with the student and explain the pathway. If both agree that this pathway is a good idea for the student, together they will develop a plan of study that best meets the student’s needs.
- The student may then begin taking classes according to the plan.
- If the student receives a grade of C (or below) in any course, the student will be automatically removed from the pathway and from the Certificate program. If removed, a student may appeal to be re-instated. The appeal will go to the Admissions Committee and essentially be treated as a normal application; they may re-instate, deny re-instatement, or request that the GMAT admissions test be taken prior to making a decision.
- If the student completes the Certificate with no C’s (or below) and an overall GPA > 3.2, the student will be automatically admitted to the MBA program (if desired) and will not go to the Admissions Committee. Students not meeting these criteria may still apply for the MBA but will go through the normal MBA admissions process.
- Students who complete at least 3 courses towards the Certificate with a GPA>3.7 will be eligible for early pathway admission and, upon request, will be automatically admitted to the MBA program without going through the normal admissions decision process.
If you are interested in learning more, have questions or are ready to apply contact:
Graduate Admissions Team